Sunday 21 December 2014

Romancing raga Jhinjhoti


Sharing two small clips from two concerts of mine.
Venue 1: Ramakrishna Mission Institute of Culture, Golpark.
Venue 2: the famous Nat Mandir of Beadon Street Deb House in North Kolkata

I am fortunate to have listened to an hour long recording of Jhinjhoti played by the legendary Sitar and Surbahar maestro Ustad Wahid Khan, my Ustad's grandfather.
I express my gratitude to Mr J. Stevenson who had recorded that in the 70s. Needless to say it's one of the rarest of recordings of the great Ustad.
In our Gharana, raga Jhinjhoti used to be peformed with 'dou (2) Nikhad'.
I was overjoyed when my Guru Ustad Shahid Parvez Khan taught me the same Gat Ustad Wahid Khan had played on the Sitar after finishing the Alap, Jod Alap and Jhala.
I have heard the same Gat from Ustad Imrat Khan as well.

However, here I have performed Jhinjhoti in it's present form.
Raga Jhinjhoti (excerpt from Alap)


Sitar - Subhranil Sarkar - Jhinjhoti (Alap) from Subhranil Sarkar (Sitar spieler) on Myspace.

I am sharing an excerpt from the Beadon Street Nat Mandir concert.

Here is a write-up on the Beadon Street Deb House
http://www.bangalinet.com/traditional_inside_chatubabulatubabu.htm

This Deb House Nat Mandir has been witness to several great performances by great Maestros such as Ustad Bade Ghulam Ali Khan, Ustad Amir Khan, Ustad Vilayat Khan, Pandit Ravi Shankar, Ustad Rais Khan, Ustad Imrat Khan, Ustad Ali Akbar Khan, Pandit Nikhil Banerjee and several others,
Whenever, one hears recordings from those concerts, one is instantly struck by the impact of the sheer amount of love and hard work musicians had put into their art in that era. That honesty stands out and has always remained an example for the generations that followed..

On the personal front, it was an honour to perform at the Deb House at their invitation.
The clip contains signature patterns of intricate Layakari that my Ustadji does with so much ease.
Mine is a student's offering. Please pardon me if there are mistakes.

Apologies for the distorted sound.
The one doing the recording must have sat too close to the Speakers with a handheld camera. Also, it is a partially open courtyard where they do the concerts. Hence the resultant sound.
Raga Jhinjhoti (excerpt - Gat in Jhaptaal)




Here is a video clip, I found on YouTube which is about the above mentioned evening!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0j-Uu_P66Dw

No comments: